Our Community and Environmental Planning work has focused on community wide environmental issues and to date program staff has engaged hundreds of residents in workshops and presentations in order to identify and prioritize environmental concerns. Most recently this has included advocacy to promote policies to reduce/mitigate pollution and revitalize Environmental Justice communities,such as our landmark Clean Up,Green Up campaign working with organizations throughout the city.
Clean Up Green Up is a locally-initiated effort to make LA communities – and the local business climate – healthier through the establishment of Green Zones in Boyle Heights,Pacoima and Wilmington. For the local community and neighborhoods,it will prevent and reduce pollution,helping to protect the health of all residents,especially sensitive populations. For businesses,the program will streamline the permitting process,saving time and hassles,and provide better access to various business support programs.
Our adult membership meet every month (on the fourth Thursday,6-8pm) to participate in advocacy,hone their public speaking skills,engage in environmental education,spread the word to their neighbors,and plan projects.
Here’s some of the news,information,and reports related to our Clean Up,Green Up campaign to prevent and reduce pollution and revitalize our communities.
Campaign Information and News:
- Clean Up,Green Up Coalition’s website
- Liberty Hill’s webpage on Clean Up,Green Up and their report on Hidden Hazards
- LATimes news story on the need for the Campaign,focusing on Pacoima
- ColorLines story ”Half of Latinos in U.S. Live in Country’s Most Polluted Cities”
News on the Campaign Launch:
- CBS news story on the Campaign Launch
- San Fernando Sun news story on the Campaign Launch
- LAist news story on the Campaign Launch
- KPCC’s news story on the Campaign Launch