Status: Full-time; including some evening and weekend hours.
Application Deadline: November 3, 11:59pm
Reports to: Communications Director
Pay: $24 per hour
Pacoima Beautiful (PB) is a grassroots environmental justice non-profit organization located in the Northeast San Fernando Valley. Our mission is to provide education, impact public policy, and support local arts and culture in order to promote a healthy and sustainable San Fernando Valley.
The Communications Assistant position will play a vital role in developing and implementing strategic communications initiatives across digital touch points to advance Pacoima Beautiful's environmental justice priorities. The Communications Assistant works closely with the Communication Director and across departments alongside Pacoima Beautiful program leads to develop and implement communications strategy to uplift issue-based campaigns across digital, social media and other digital touch points. The work will also include media relations. The Communications Assistant will report to the Communications Director. This is a full-time position. The ideal candidate will reside in the San Fernando Valley or the city of Los Angeles.
Experience working in a related industry such as marketing, graphic design, multimedia journalism
- Work with the Communications Director and Communications Manager and other PB Staff to generate monthly editorial calendar to promote Pacoima Beautiful programs and campaign initiatives
- Create, implement, and schedule the distribution of print, digital communications, and marketing collateral including but not limited to, newsletters, flyers, website updates, forms, petitions, social media, blog/op-eds, email marketing, press releases, Social Media Ad Buying, action alerts, and major annual events.
- Track and report on growth and performance of Pacoima Beautiful social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn), for email marketing campaigns track open rate, click through rate, etc.
- Assist with collecting and achieving all digital assets: photos, videos, and creative collateral, and design assets used across Pacoima Beautiful brand identity system
- Support digital storytelling efforts by editing videos, audio editing for podcast efforts
- Consistently attend events and activities of other team members to document and promote the work of the organization
- In collaboration with program lead staff and communications staff, implement aspects of Pacoima Beautiful strategic communications plan as identified to further the mission, vision, and priorities by amplifying the voices of our member and youth organizers.
- In collaboration with Communications Director, develop, and implement communications such as overarching program messaging, talking points. Track measurable goals and outcomes.
- Assist with identifying targeted media outlets and journalists, to pitch PB stories narratives around policy and programmatic priorities.
- Track data and metrics to effectively analyze and grow the efficacy of communications materials to help refine our communications strategy and tactics.
Content Development & Social Media Marketing:
- Help to ensure development of and maintain quality and consistency of Pacoima Beautiful brand identity, credibility, and voice throughout all external communications.
- In collaboration with program leads, develop, and implement content for communications campaigns programs and priorities, such as overarching messaging, talking points, and earned media and social media strategy, and establishing measurable goals and outcomes.
- Development, Implement and maintain an up-to-date social media editorial content calendar to elevate program highlights to grow social media audience and strengthen online engagement.
- Assist with the production and publication of Pacoima Beautiful special events across platforms, including website, social media, and paid social media ads.
- Support the production of strategic communications content including writing, video editing, voiceover, podcast episodes, graphic design, event production, website updates, photo editing, blogs/op-eds, and public relations efforts.
- Collaborate with Program Leads and third parties to advance Pacoima Beautiful initiatives as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Demonstrated capacity for high-level organization, content development and copy writing to shape narrative and issues through proactive messaging and outreach.
- Valid CA Driver’s License and Current insurance; Must have reliable transportation
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to accommodate outreach activities
- Must be able to lift to 25 lbs
- The successful candidate will be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, build strong relationships, and be able to set and meet deadline
- Ability to keep information confidential and exercise good judgment.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment, independent, proactive, and able to work under tight deadlines and evolving priorities.
- Commitment to advancing equity, environmental, social, and economic justice.
- Ability to work well both independently and in collaboration with diverse staff, organizational leaders, and community allies.
- Passion for storytelling through multi-media types, both visual and written
- Excellent copywriting skills for social media and website
- Strong Interpersonal communication skills and a rigorous attention to detail
- Knowledge of California major media outlets, reporters, and media markets.
- Knowledge of Pacoima and Northeast San Fernando Valley regional and statewide environmental justice issues, or a quick learner.
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and adhere protocol and procedure to meet deadlines with limited supervision
- High level graphic design, knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud
- Commitment to collaborative problem solving with a positive attitude and generous spirit
- Tenacity, humor, and confidence when faced with challenging projects
- Superb project management skills to get things done
- Proven ability to set and meet measurable goals
- 1-2 years minimum communications experience
- 1-2 years minimum social media (organic growth and/or ad buying) experience required
- Experience updating and maintaining Drupal CMS website.
- Printshop design experience or knowledge (a major plus but not required)
- Proficiency in graphic design, video, and multimedia content creation tools
- Knowledge of social media content scheduling and management tools like Sprout Social, etc.
- Knowledge of Every Action CRM and suite of organizing tools is a plus or quick learner.
- Excellent time-management and planning skills
- Ability to understand and work within a grassroots oriented environment
- Ideal candidate is a digital native, you grew up using web 2.0, and track of digital trends
- A go getter or collaborative entrepreneurial mind-set
- Performs well under pressure or tight deadlines/turnaround time
- Desire to work and engage community members in environmental health, justice, and social issues
- Committed and dedicated to environmental health and justice issues
- Dependable, responsible, and reliable with a commitment to the organization and program
- Creative, resourceful, motivated, and capable for minimal direction to self-directed work
- Strong interpersonal skills, open minded, non-judgmental, friendly, outgoing, and sociable
- A problem solver who takes initiative
- A team player who supports the work of fellow staff
- Respectful and honest Understanding of Environmental issues affecting communities of color
- Experience advocating for Environmental/Social Justice
- Familiar with the Northeast San Fernando Valley and general San Fernando Valley
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Passion for social justice, environmental justice, and higher education
- strong copywriting skills (a major plus)
- Bilingual (non-Spanish speakers preferred)
Pacoima Beautiful offers a comprehensive benefits package including 13 paid holidays; Health insurance applicable after completion of a successful 3-month probation period (Dental, Vision, and Chiropractic Insurances available, but are paid by employee), accrual up to 5 vacation days per year, 1 Flex Day available per month, an Individual Retirement Account (IRA) with a 2% salary contribution after every year; life insurance, and access to Pacoima Beautiful’s Employee Assistance Program.
Submit a Resume, Cover letter, 3 professional references, Graphic Design Portfolio or 3 examples of design work all included in a single PDF or a link to portfolio work (having portfolio is major plus but not required) via email to PB's Communications Director, Andrés Rivera, at email@example.com with the subject line: "Communications Assistant Job Application, First Name and Last Name" by the deadline indicated above.
Pacoima Beautiful is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate based on race, religion, disability, gender expression, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other prohibited category. We strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQAI+ people, and all qualified persons to apply for this position.