Status: Full-Time, non-Exempt, some evening and weekend hours required
Deadline: Rolling deadline until filled
Reports to: Director of Youth Programs
Pay: $48,000 - $50,000
Pacoima Beautiful (PB) is a grassroots environmental justice non-profit organization located in the Northeast San Fernando Valley. Our mission is to provide education, impact public policy, and support local arts and culture in order to promote a healthy and sustainable San Fernando Valley.
The Youth Organizer is a highly motivated person who is passionate about youth empowerment. They will be responsible for planning, organizing, and implementing the youth programming at Pacoima Beautiful. They will work under the supervision of the Director of Youth Programs and will work directly with youth developing their leadership skills and organizing for social and environmental justice.
Job Skills and Responsibilities
- Work with the Youth Organizing Team to plan, organize and implement youth-driven projects that address environmental issues.
- Outreach and recruitment of youth into the youth programs (YUTEP, High School Clubs and summer programs) including using digital and in person tools and strategies
- Provide mentorship/leadership support for local youth participants
- Facilitate and coordinate weekly youth meetings at school campuses and/or community venues and gather and record feedback and ideas from youth for youth activities
- Develop and sustain relationships with partner organization and school staff
- Create and implement environmental justice curriculum using popular education methods
- Be able to contextualize complicated/technical data into clear and simple information for the youth participants
- Research and create opportunities for youth to become engaged in their community
- Work with the Director of Youth Programs to maintain and update program logistics such as budgets, grant requirements and reports including tracking attendance.
- Support the implementation of curriculum focused access to higher education.
- Submit updates on youth activities to the Director of Youth Programs
- Participate in weekly Team meetings and bi-weekly staff meetings and comply with all reporting requirements.
- Plan and lead community outdoor activities (picnics, community clean ups, tabling, etc.)
- Support with the planning and implementation of outdoor education activities such hiking and camping trips
Experience and Qualifications
- Previous organizing experience in grassroots communities, youth or community organizing.
- Experience in civic engagement preferred or a related social change field, especially with a focus on environmental justice, climate change, clean energy, community empowerment, education, social equity, and justice, and/or community organizing.
- Understanding of concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities.
- Attention to detail, organization, and ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Must have strong time-management skills to maintain a calendar of appointments and meetings to track campaign timelines and deadlines.
- Use a data tracking system to measure and report program outcomes and efficacy to Directors, community supporters, and collaborative partners.
- Must be a self-starter and able to work independently and in a team.
- Solid understanding of Environmental Justice and commitment to long-term social change through community organizing.
- Strong interpersonal skills- culturally respectful and able to work with individuals varying in age, ethnicity, culture, income, and educational levels.
- Excellent communication skills are essential, both oral and written.
- Computer skills are a must- including but not limited to Microsoft Word, Excel, Teams, ZOOM, PowerPoint, and email systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Public speaking/presentation experience.
- A valid driver’s license, driver’s insurance, and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent field-based experience in education, sociology, political science and/or related field.
- YUTEP Alumni
- Understanding of issues impacting communities of color with a focus on environmental justice.
- Familiar with the Northeast San Fernando Valley.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Passion for social and environmental justice
Pacoima Beautiful offers a comprehensive benefits package including 14 paid holidays; Health insurance applicable after completion of a successful 3-month probation period (Dental, Vision, and Chiropractic Insurances available, but are paid by employee), accrual up to 5 vacation days per year, 1 Flex Day available per month, an Individual Retirement Account (IRA) with a 2% salary contribution after every year; life insurance, and access to Pacoima Beautiful’s Employee Assistance Program.
Submit your cover letter and resume and list of 2 professional references with the email subject line "Youth Organizer Application" to Yesenia Cruz, Director of Youth Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pacoima Beautiful is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate based on race, religion, disability, gender expression, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other prohibited category. We strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQAI+ people, and all qualified persons to apply for this position.